Warhawks cut down Lumberjacks

Led by near-perfect pitching, the Warhawks were a perfect 2-0 against Stephen F. Austin during Friday’s double-header.

The Warhawks took the first game 5-0 behind Alex Hermeling’s eight innings without an earned run.

ULM got a huge amount of run support in the second game, taking a 10-3 victory.

Head Coach Bruce Peddie said that this was the type of game he likes to see from his team.

“We cut down on our strike outs, ran the bases a little bit better today, and played good sound defense. This was a culmination of all three phases of the game being played very well. It was a great day,” he said.

Stephen F Austin struck first in the second game of the day driving home a run in the first to take the early lead.

After a scoreless second inning the Warhawks drove in two runs in the third to capture the lead for the first time. The runs came on RBI by Kodie Tidwell and Keelin Rasch.

Stephen F Austin regained the lead in the fourth inning as they scored off of two ULM errors and held the Warhawks scoreless.

The Warhawks would return the favor in the fifth, holding the Lumberjacks to no runs and plating two for the home team. Nathan Pugh hit a single to drive in Rasch, and Jacob Stockton drove in Pugh with a single to right field.

The Warhawks exploded in the sixth inning, scoring five runs to put the game away. Cody Stone brought two of these runs in off a two-RBI single to left field.

Another run was added in the eight to give the Warhawks the 10-3 victory.

Pitcher Brandon Bell enjoyed his first win as a Warhawk as he allowed only one earned run on three hits and two walks. He struck out six batters during his six innings of work.

Coach Bruce Peddie seemed pleased with the resilience his pitcher showed.

“He really prepared this week and did a super job. He came out here and commanded the zone,” he said