Survive semester’s end while fighting seasonal allergies

With the semester’s end comes the recurring sound of students sniffling in class, but it’s not students crying at the thought of finals.

This year’s allergy season arrived with irritated eyes, sore throat, sneezing and coughing.

Jessica Bostic, a senior health studies major, said she prepares for allergy season by drinking water and taking an over-the-counter allergy pill.

Bostic’s advice for other students includes eating ample fruit and drinking juices high in vitamin C.

Students who suffer from allergies could pack the necessities like water, medicine and tissues before heading to class.

Tamara Rogers, a sophomore accounting major, does this to stay prepared.

Rogers said the medicine “kicks in” soon and helps to prevent her missing class or other activities.

“The symptoms become easier to deal with, and within a week I’m back to almost normal,” Rogers said.

Surviving allergy season could require prevention like allergy testing.

Laurie Simmons, an acute care nurse practitioner, said allergy testing can identify any seasonal allergies such as grass or pollen.

While some only need over-the-counter medicine like Claritin or Zyrtec for a short time, some need it year-round.

Others might rely on regular allergy injections, but Simmons said they can live normal lives.

Those with severe allergies to specific foods or insects are usually equipped with epinephrine injections and try to avoid contact.

“It is truly a lifestyle change for some,” Simmons said.