Baseball takes on Arkansas State

The Warhawks played the second game of their series against Arkansas State Saturday night and had to face an hour long rain delay between the fifth and sixth.

The Warhawks took the first game of the series against the Red Wolves 3-2 amid a strong pitching performance by Alex Hermeling and strong close by Josh Leone.

Game two saw the Warhawks fall to the Red Wolves, 11-3.

Head coach Bruce Peddie said leaving runners on base is the issue.

“When you leave twelve runners on and you look at the score board as the game ends, and they have ten hits and we have ten, but they have eleven runs and we have three there’s something wrong,” he said.

Trey Seltzer took the mound for the Warhawks for Saturday’s game.

The game opened with a scoreless first inning before the Warhawks drove home their first run of the night in the bottom of the second to break the 0-0 tie. A scoreless third followed before the Warhawks tallied another run in the fourth to bring their lead to 2-0.

The fifth began with the Red Wolves bringing home their first runs of the night and knotting the score at 2-2.

The Warkhawks countered scoring another run in the fifth to retake the lead at 3-2.

The sixth then saw a huge inning for the Red Wolves as they brought in four runs to take the lead for the first time at 6-3.

The Warhawks failed to counter and after a scoreless seventh the Red Wolves brought in another run to bring the lead to 7-3. A grand slam added four more runs to the Red Wolves tally and the game finished in an 11-3 victory for Arkansas State.

Peddie further vented his frustration.

“We don’t cash in when it counts and we don’t know how to separate, and that’s why it turns into a ball game,” he said.

Keegan Curtis was set to take the mound for the Warhawks Sunday.