Lang dies at 22

Lang dies at 22

Lauren Lang, 22, died by a self-inflicted gunshot wound Jan. 31. Lang was a senior dental hygiene major of Bastrop, LA.

According to Save.org, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death among Americans of all ages. Depression is said to be a factor of suicides.

12642486_568069953366426_4937653250213839628_n“She wasn’t crazy. She just had some type of serious crisis when depression hits,” said Lisa Lang, Lauren’s mother.

Lang’s family is not covering up how she died; rather, they said suicide awareness is important and should be taken seriously.

Dr. Carmen McIntyre, chief medical officer at the Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority, said depression doesn’t have a distinct look or stereotype.

“Depression doesn’t look the same for everyone, but some hints are feeling sad, or being agitated and angry,” Dr. McIntyre wrote in her recent blog post.

For those with suicidal thoughts, Dr. McIntyre said talk to anyone who could help and stay away from harmful objects.

“Take firearms out of the house, secure medications, and guard against ‘sharps’ – knives, needles, scissors,” she wrote.

Words can also trigger suicidal thoughts.

Lisa Lang said people should be mindful of how he or she treats others on the daily bases.

“People might appear okay on the outside, but you never know what that person is going through,” Lisa said.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention reported there are more than 42,000 Americans who die each year by suicide. And for every one suicide, there are 25 attempts.

“Your mind is powerful. God created all of our organs to work in sync, and your mental health is just as important as your physical  health,” Lisa said.

Lauren was expected to graduate in May.

Editor’s Note: If you or someone you know is having thoughts about suicide call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or visit the ULM Counseling Center.