Meteorological Society donates to New Orleans tornado victims

Kandice Johnson, News Editor

When the ULM Meteorological Society heard news of tornadoes ripping through the New Orleans area, sending condolences wasn’t enough.

The organization announced on Facebook Tuesday that it would “donate half of their profits from the bake sale to the victims of the tornadoes.” The bake sale will take place Thursday from 11a.m. to 1p.m. in front of  the Student Union Building.

Collin Landry, the president of the ULM Meteorological Society, said the money will be donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank in New Orleans.

“As budding meteorologists, we feel urged to reach out to those affected and help with anything that we can,”Landry said. “By donating to the Second Harvest Food Bank, we are helping this organization feed those who lost their homes in this catastrophic event.”

According to The Times-Picayune, an EF-3 tornado tore through New Orleans East and injured 33 people and damaged nearly 700 buildings. No deaths were reported from the incident.

The tornado had a wind speed of about 150 mph and tore through seven parishes. According to meteorologist Mike Smith, Senior Vice President of AccuWeather.com, “Early February is early in the year for tornadoes, even for New Orleans, along the Gulf Coast.”

The National Weather Service team received information that at least four tornadoes hit Louisiana.

The total cost of damage hasn’t been determined.