Athletic Director won’t continue contract

Cory Thaxton, Editor in Chief

After four years, Brian Wickstrom, the University of Louisiana Monroe’s Director of Athletics, will not be renewing his contract with the university. 

Wickstrom joined the Warhawk family in July 2013. From day one, it has been Wickstrom’s dream to move to a larger program.

President Nick Bruno was aware of Wickstrom’s intentions and has respected his dreams.

“I want to thank Dr. Wickstrom for his four years of service to ULM,” Bruno said in a press release that was posted to the university’s website this afternoon.

In the press release, Wickstrom expressed his gratitude to Bruno for giving him the opportunity to contribute to ULM as the athletic director.

“My family and I have been so blessed to be part of this great campus and city,” Wickstrom said.

The press release also points out some of Wickstrom’s greatest achievements during his time at ULM.

Wickstrom helped fund a new football facility at Malone Stadium. The facility includes multiple enhancements such as a locker room and a Hall of History.

David Moore, President of the ULM Athletic Foundation, said he was disappointed after hearing the news that Wickstrom would be leaving.

“The direction he provided in all the athletic programs has had an immediate and long-term impact,” Moore said. “In addition, Brian (Wickstrom) and his wife and children have become a real part of not only the ULM community, but the area as well, and they will all be missed.”

Moore also wishes Wickstrom future success.

Wickstrom’s contract will expire on June 30.