Warhawks beat Memphis in 9-inning battle

ULM needed all nine innings, but with a pass ball and a big play at the plate, the Warhawks edged Memphis 5-4 for the win.

Warhawk catcher Logan Fiasco lead off the bottom of the ninth inning, reaching first on a ground ball up the middle. Two batters later, a pass ball allowed Fiasco to reach second. Jeremy Sy then ripped a single into right field. Fiasco rounded third and slid under the tag at home to claim the game for the Warhawks.

“This was a great ballgame,” said head coach Jeff Schexnaider. “We took advantage of an error and were able to capitalize on it to get the win.”

Though the Warhawks won, the Tigers made them work for it.

Memphis loaded the bases in the eighth inning, but closer Will Browning came on in relief of Kendall Thamm to get the Warhawks out of danger. They threatened again in the ninth with runners on first and second, but again Browning pitched the Warhawks out of the jam by striking out the final two Tiger batters.

Browning (2-0) was credited with the win. The Warhawks used four different pitchers during the game. Each relieved the one before when the Tigers were threatening, and each pitched their way out of tough situations.

Schexnaider said he didn’t plan on using that many pitchers, but he said he did what he had to do to get the victory.

“Those guys have been good all year in relief, and tonight we needed all of them,” he said.

Schexnaider said he hopes to use the momentum from the ninth-inning win to get his team going offensively.

Several Warhawks swung the bats well in the game. Fiasco was three for four batting with a walk on the night. Sy wet three for five, including his game winning hit.

Third baseman Judd Edwards blasted a home-run in the second inning for the Warhawk’s first run of the night. He also reached on an error in the fourth and scored on a fielder’s choice.

Statistically, the Tigers out-hit the Warhawks 11 to nine. Both teams had two errors a piece.

Jonathan Van Eaton (1-1) was credited with the loss. He came on in relief of starter Michael Willis at the beginning of the eighth inning.

With the win, the Warhawks improve to 8-5 on the season. Memphis falls to 5-7 with the loss. The Warhawks are so far 3-0 against Conference USA teams, besting Southern Miss and Tulane earlier in the year.

The two teams will meet again at 6 p.m. tomorrow night in the final game of the two-game series.