Golf names invitational after program’s founder

Wallace Jones, ULM's golf program founder, watched the team at its first home invitational in seven years.

The men’s home golf invitational was the first one hosted in seven years. The tournament marked the first of what will be an annual event.
The invitational is named after the program’s founder Wallace Jones who began the program in the 1970s.
Jones spent 17 years with then NLU building a program under former athletic director John David Crowe.
“It’s a special time,” said head coach Eric Hsu, a former ULM alumni. “Wallace is such a great guy and is such a good ambassador for our program. I love that he has had the opportunity to come out and experience this tournament in his honor.”
Jones and his wife drove their golf cart around the Calvert Crossing Country Club’s golf course, supporting the Warhawks in their first home invitational.
Although the team finished second, Jones couldn’t be more pleased with the players’ efforts.
“I’m real proud of these boys. They got off to a good start,” Jones said. “I think the two freshman are playing better right now than anybody. Kind of like the freshman from Kentucky [basketball].”
The team put on a strong showing for the home fans, and senior Nick Wilson said it was a lot of fun, and he enjoyed playing in front of fans.
The team went into a playoff round against Oklahoma City University, but before teeing off, they huddled for a Warhawk spirit shout.
“[Jones] got a show today, that’s for sure,” Hsu said. “I’m really pleased we were able to do that, and he was able to come out and watch.”
Jones was pleased with Hsu’s job performance on the team. Jones said Hsu is doing an outstanding job.
On the tournament being named after him, Jones said, “The fact they named it after me was just wonderful. I am most appreciative for this honor.”