Spring elections may be voided due to computer glitches

Election officials announced in Tuesday’s SGA meeting multiple spring elections could be voided because of computer glitches.

The hotly contested referendum that would have turned the natatorium into an event center is among those that could be voided. Fifty-five percent of students voted against that measure.

Also, the failed referendum to build an aquatic complex in Bayou Park could also be voided. That measure failed by just 15 votes.

Election Commissioner Hunter Vanderberg announced the commission’s findings along with a decision to postpone today’s runoff elections for secretary and treasurer until the bugs have been fixed.

The scope of the glitches and the specific races where problems occurred have not been identified, but the implications of a new election could be vast.

“Let’s put it this way: There were 15 votes difference in the [Bayou Park pool] referendum. It was more than that,” said Nathan Hall, assistant dean of Student Life and Leadership.

Hall said the glitch could also have affected officer election results.

SGA election officials received complaints from voters claiming not all of the referendums appeared on their ballots. Others were given options to vote for officers in more than one college.

Voters using both the election website and the ULM smartphone app experienced these problems.

Hall said SGA election officials took the complaints to the Computing Service to center to find out why the programs were not working correctly. Computing Services ran tests and discovered the problems were not isolated to the individuals who complained.

Hall said once SGA officials know how wide-spread the problem was, they would better know how to move forward, possibly with all new elections.

More information is likely to surface in the coming days. Check www.ulmhawkeyeonline.com daily for new developments as they emerge.