Big leap of faith

Big leap of faith

Track and field’s athletes set marks early to qualify for regional meet

In December, junior high-jumper Clint Broussard was unsure if he’d be able to defend his conference title due to a fractured ankle bone that required surgery.
Now, Broussard is not worried if he’ll be able to defend his crown. Not only is he ranked third this season in the conference, he also ranks 30th in the NCAA East Region, which qualifies him for the regional meet.
“I just want thank God for allowing me to come back. Once my ankle got back to 100 percent, I have no excuses,” said Broussard, who jumped 6’ 10.75” at Texas Relays. “Hard work is all I have been doing, and hopefully, it won’t stop at regionals and go on to nationals. The sky is the limit.”
Like Broussard, several other ULM track and field athletes are ranked in the top-48 in the NCAA East Region, which qualifies them to represent ULM at the competitions in June at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.
Senior Richard McKay qualified in the javelin throw with his mark of 223’9” at Texas Relays.
Unlike Broussard, McKay has experience competing against the regional field.
“Regionals and nationals are great, crazy meets simply because anything can happen on the day. Just have to stay consistent, and do what you always do. I’ve seen guys who have thrown big to not even make the finals at regionals.”
Last season, McKay had a season-best throw of 73.68 meters, which ranked him ninth in the nation and qualified him for national competition.
“I feel I am in a better position this year to place higher, thus improving my seeding for the national championship,” said McKay, a two-time NCAA Championships qualifier.
“It always feels great to compete with the nations best, especially to get my name out there and put ULM back on the map.”
Also, looking to help put ULM on the map are seniors Derek Dark and Luther Ambrose. Dark is ranked 30 in the shot put throw with a mark of 56’6,” but is looking to move up the ranks.
“I feel good about it,” said Dark, who is ranked third in the conference. “I know it will get me in, but right now I’m just working on getting better.”
And, Ambrose is tied at 36 with a season-best run of 10.44 second run in the 100-meter dash.
Ambrose ranks second in the SBC behind the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s Justin Jones who ran a 10.42 earlier this season.
“As for conference, I’m trying to defend my title,” said Ambrose, 2011 SBC 100-meter dash champion. “I want to go out on top and also get a better time for the 100 so I can move up on the regional list.”
Junior Daniel Mutai is ranked sixth regionally in the 10,000-meter run, and senior Joshua Howard is ranked 22 in the men’s long jump with his mark set at 50’0.75.”
Ambrose added, “We want to be able to win conference after coming a couple of points short last year.”