Danger’s everywhere, ULM taking good steps

With a crime rate index of one—with 100 being the safest—Monroe was recently ranked number 14 on Neighborhood Scout’s list of 100 most dangerous cities to live in. 

Neighborhood Scout, a location-based and risk analysis information source,  gathered data from over 17,000 crime reports collected by the FBI and compared Monroe’s crime rates to cities of both similar size and larger.

With a population around 49,180 residents, Monroe has one of the highest crime rates in the nation with 96 per 1000 residents.

According to Neighborhood Scout, you have a one and 59 chance of becoming a victim of a violent crime in Monroe and an even greater chance of becoming a victim of a property crime with a rate of one and 13.

What Neighborhood Scout found might come as a shock to a lot of residents, while others might brush it off as another “one of those lists.”

But after a series of forcible rapes, including one of our fellow students, everyone should be well aware that there are dangers present no matter where you are.

Thankfully, the university is aware of the risks, too, both on and off campus, and we commend the many efforts ULM has taken to protect the students and to provide a safe environment for students to learn and grow, including self-defense classes the university offers. ULM PD has increased the number of patrols made and assisted Monroe Police in catching the suspected rapist.

The University Police work around the clock to give students peace of mind and to keep us safe. The Hawkeye recognizes all of the hard work they put into securing this campus.

We also applaud Monroe Police for their steadfast dedication in catching the suspect, which brought a breath of relief to the community.

It’s clear to see that the danger moves far past the walls of ULM’s campus, and they shouldn’t be taken lightly.