‘Social Network’ is a refreshing hit

“The Social Network” opens with the future creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerburg (played by Jesse Eisenberg) breaking up with his girlfriend, Erica (played by Rooney Mara).

With a screenplay written by Aaron Sorkin, the dialogue in this scene becomes almost too clever. It moves quickly. And Zuckerburg is quite the irritatingly ambivalent character.

It’s the story of “nerd,” Zuckerburg, encountering Naptser-founder Sean Parker (played by Justin Timberlake) and betraying his friend, Eduardo Saverin (played by Andrew Garfield, amazing) on his journey to make Facebook the newest, biggest thing.

The narrative structure comes from several lawsuits against Zuckerburg: we’re watching a collage of flashbacks and the jumble of them together plays out something like the literary use of an unreliable narrator. It’s fitting for a movie about Facebook: the intersection of technology “wires in” the human like chains.

Several scenes from the race to the opening credits demonstrate Fincher’s mastery of filmmaking and the exhilarating soundtrack by Trent Reznor.

Fincher wants us to see the journey of the human, the physical exertion that recalls the descent in “Zodiac.”

These flourishes are brilliant, but “Social Network’s” chance for any long-term impact looks slim (but the Oscars look pretty good).