Letter to the editor: Parents must take a “time out”and “spank”

ULM Hawkeye

Would you take time to give your child or your student “time out” or would you take time to “punish” that student or your own child so that they can/will understand what they have done/going to do is wrong?

In our psychology courses, you psychology majors might notice that all of these psychologists basically studied the reasons “why and how” with babies all the way up to grown adults.

Throughout the courses we continue to see that B.F. Skinner uses the Operant Conditioning, which is a term used to describe the effect of the consequences of a particular behavior. Now, you are probably wondering, “did Skinner actually take the time to study the effect of a certain consequences for a particular behavior?’’

Well the answer to that is yes. There are four types of operant conditions which are; positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, punishment, and extinction.

But the two most studied are negative reinforcement and punishment. The books say negative reinforcement strengthens the behavior because a negative condition is stopped or avoided as a consequence of the behavior, and punishment weakens a behavior because a negative condition is introduced or experienced as a consequence of the behavior.

In my opinion, if a child came home from having a fight at school, what would you do as a parent, or if the child was fighting in your classroom, what would you do as a teacher? Put them in a corner? No way, I hope not.

The best way to approach this method is paddle them or let them be spanked by their parents so that child will know what he did was totally out of order.

Nowadays, we see the TV show “Dr. Phil,” where children are hitting their mothers because they think they talk too much or shouldn’t be told what to do.

Our society is constantly saying, “punishment is evil” and it will increase the negative behavior within a child. I am a living witness that it will decrease it. There is also the Bible where it states, “spare the rod spoil the child,” Proverbs23: 13-14. “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.If you beat him with a rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.” Sheol is often translated as “hell,” but has the more general meaning of death or the grave. If you are not a Christian believer you wouldn’t understand what I am referring to, therefore it will be easy just to know negative punishment only works with certain people.

I am a strong believer that if your student (education majors this example is for you) comes in the classroom and continues to spit on that same student that sits in front of him or her, what would you do, just remove him or her to another side of the classroom? NO.

You will make sure the child is punished for his negative/rude behavior. With this new generation, our teachers are trying to teach and give back to the children in their classroom without disturbance. Most parents use methods like yelling or saying “stop.”

Over and over again, putting them in time out, taking the toys away, sitting them on their lap and talking to them, giving them what they want anyway or even ignoring the situation and letting the turmoil and disobedience build up. These examples I have listed will not help the new generation of kids.

If you Google kids or celebrities that didn’t have structure or parents who didn’t believe in punishment, you’ll see that they: were pregnant early out of wedlock, had heavy usage of drugs, beat and abused their parents, moved out and became whoremongers, in and out of jail or even committed suicide, and are going through with their lives because they didn’t receive any kind of structure, nor had someone there to let them know what they were doing wasn’t acceptable.

My question to ULM students and faculty- is it really possible to let a child live today without letting them recognize right from wrong or what’s good and bad without him/her receiving punishment?

-Chelsea Wyatt, psychology major