Long distance persistence

asmile2

Hillary Kirwa dropped his head in a playful chuckle then looked up with a white smile. “They call me smiling machine,” Kirwa said. For a man that has been dealt unimaginable challenges, happiness finds a way to shine through like a train in the night.

In his homeland of Kenya, college scholarships are ten times as valuable as silver and gold. They often come with a price of a journey that can take a devastating toll on even the strongest of men and women. Kirwa accepted the challenge with open arms and his trademark ear-to-ear smile.

A friend planted the seed of America into Kirwa’s mind at a young age.

“We look at America as place of hope. If you work hard here, you can become whatever you want,” Kirwa said.

Some time passed, and the thought of coming to the U.S.A. had been buried deep inside. Out of nowhere, an opportunity reared its head. Kirwa’s dad, David Kirwa, is a successful businessman in their hometown of Eldoret.

During lunch with a business associate and former runner, the idea of his son going to college in America reemerged. The man explained to David that running was an excellent chance at a scholarship. At home that night, he ran the idea by his son.

“I had never ran,” Kirwa said.

Like an average Kenyan teenager, Kirwa enjoyed a nice bowl of ugali and a game of badminton. Running for an education hadn’t been an option until now.

One thing was obvious- he had to run.

At home in the hilly upcountry of rural Africa, he began training lightly. The first day he would go for 20 minutes. The next day it was 25- and so on. Distance running soon became more than a means to a free education and trip across the globe. It was a passion that pushed him to be someone that not only he, but his country would be proud of.

Kirwa said,“I feel like a carry the burden of my country. I want to make Kenya proud.”

After almost two years of training, networking and transferring schools, he landed at ULM. His infectious attitude lightens the mood in the Warhawk locker room and motivates his teammates.

Cross country coach Karoly Varga said: “He pushes the team and keeps everyone working hard. He’s going to be very successful.”

The rich tradition of Kenyan distance runners is in good hands with Kirwa. It’s visible in his smile.

[nggallery id=36]