Hawks dreaming big

photo by Daniel RussellThe most recent senior class of ULM football players took to the stage in front of numerous NFL scouts at Malone Stadium for Pro-Day on Wednesday morning. For the athletes, it would mark their last opportunity to show the NFL scouts what they had to offer to their respective teams.

The group was mostly filled with players from the 2013 roster, with the exception of Leonard who was a senior in 2012.

The participants began the day in the weight room where they were measured and weighed by the scouts. They also took part in broad and vertical jumps before moving on to bench-press.

The players then moved on to the field to run the 40-yard dash as well as various shuttle drills. The day ended as players took part in drills for their respective positions.

Adam Waugh, ULM Safeties Coach and NFL Pro Liaison, has the task of giving all the information that these scouts could want on ULM players.

“We want as many guys out of our program as possible to have an opportunity to play in the pros,” said Waugh.

While Pro-Day is a showcase of player’s skills, Waugh also explained that Scouts also use this as a chance to look at players “character.”

“They want to know that these kids are leaders, they want to know that they are hard-workers in the weight room and the classroom, and that they are good people in the community as well,” said Waugh.

Allen, former Warhawk center, couldn’t remember much negative feedback from the scouts, but he did know they wanted players to “listen” and “get it right the first time.” This would show the scouts that they were coachable players who were able to listen and take direction.

Most of the players have been training since the season ended this past December. Going into Pro-Day, many had a drill they were most looking forward too.

“The drill I was looking forward too the most was the bench, because I worked on that extremely hard since we got out of season,” Allen said.

Allen went on to lead the participants in the bench-press by putting up 29 reps.

While former Warhawk safety Isaiah Newsome did not put up as many reps on the bench as Allen, he was more excited to run his 40-yard dash.

Both players admitted to being nervous at the start of the event, but didn’t let that stop them.

“It was a little nerve-wracking, then I just got anxious, but I’m very proud of everybody’s times and showing their skills off. I’m very proud to being a part of this group of guys,” Newsome said.

Josh Allen said, “his heart was racing through his shirt” during the workouts. Now with ULM’s Pro-Day complete all players can do is continue to work and hope to hear their names called in the upcoming NFL Draft this May.

The 12 former Warhawks, -all seniors or graduates- who participated were Josh Allen, Cameron Blakes, Kolton Browning, Vincent Eddie, Jyruss Edwards, Je’Ron Hamm, Emanuel Jeffries, Brent Leonard, Tavarese Maye, Isaiah Newsome, Madison Tharp and Monterrell Washington.

View Comments (1)