Softball swinging through scrimmages

The ULM softball team took the field for the first time new head coach Corey Lyon as they faced Northeast Texas Community College in a double-header scrimmage.

The Warhawks came out strong in the first scrimmage, quickly scoring a few runs and playing stifling defense. The Warhawk defense held the Lady Eagles of Northeast Texas to one run throughout the first game.

ULM won the first game 6-1.

After a fifteen minute intermission the second game began and the Warhawks came out even more impressive. 

Yet again, the Warhawks put up several runs in the first inning, and this offensive trend continued throughout the game culminating in an eight run effort in the fifth.

The Warhawks took the win 13-1.

First year head coach Corey Lyon was pleased with the effort of his team

“We played a lot better offensively the second part of the scrimmage putting up 13 runs. I loved the way we played for each other,” he said.

This was the first game for the Warhawks without former head coach Rosemary Holloway-Hill. She had coached the softball for 30 years, racking up impressive 749 wins.

Coach Lyon has enjoyed bonding with his players.

“I feel blessed to have a team that is ready to be coached and is hungry,” he said. 

Sophomore pitcher Melanie Coyne seems to think Lyon will fit in well in the program.

“It has been awesome and we’ve adopted really well. He fits in really well with the team and softball family,” she said.