Fashion fighting frostbite

Weather in Louisiana might go to extremes, but winter does not require students to do the same with their fashion choices.

Winter calls for some of the typical items such as scarves, jackets, boots, caps and several others. However, both women and men can tie the traditional together with current trends to create looks that can turn heads and inspire others.

While a college student could easily throw on a simple oversized shirt or sweatpants, the decision to transform a drab outfit is made simple with tips from several ULM students.

Bridget Bertrand, a junior psychology major, said the popular piece known as a beanie could do more than hold in heat.
One with a splash of color “can make a fashion statement” that looks bold, according to Bertrand.

Bertrand’s advice to students deciding on what to don to brave frigid temperatures is not worry about whether something is a trend or not.

“You dress for yourself and be unique in what you wear,” Bertrand said.

Some students focus on one main piece to draw attention. This piece can become a staple in a student’s closet throughout the winter months.

Vivian Tran, a sophomore pre-nursing major, said her neutral coat with ample length completes her look.

“It’s classic, and classic looks good on everyone,” Tran said.

Tran said dressing in a way that is comfortable is essential for students. Tran said she believes today’s fashion means “anything is in.” She said taking risks is important in fashion.

Tran said she likes the “classic, more minimal look” as well as neutral colors and simplicity.

Tran’s top tip for students is to layer several pieces that work together well. She said students should pay attention to hues and suggested layering colors such as yellow on gold and red on maroon.

Layering is a common suggestion for fashion among female students.

Emma Matherne, sophomore pre-pharmacy major, said the traditional scarf works as fashionable and functional. Matherne said it could help protect from the cold in attempt to keep from getting sick.

“Scarves always look cute. I have a bunch of scarves, so I just pick a scarf that adds a little something to all my outfits,” Matherne said.

Layers can easily boost an outfit, Matherne said. She prefers winter to other seasons because she can match multiple pieces together.

Winter also means that an outfit can combine several traditional pieces such as a pea coat, scarf and boots.

Rebecca Walters, a freshman general business major, suggested combining these pieces she calls “essentials” while keeping in mind complementary patterns and solids. Walters said a patterned item over a solid sweater can “look adorable.”

In fact, Walters said she owns multiple pea coats in different colors because they create a “classy look” while also allowing her to feel comfortable even as temperatures fall below freezing.

Walters said comfort should come before fashion, but fashion is still important.

“If you’re not comfortable, it doesn’t really matter how you look. Because people are going to see it over your face,” Walters said.

According to Walters, wearing clothes that are appropriate for the season is important for multiple reasons including professionalism and health. Though winter weather demands more pieces be worn, Walters said it is her favorite season because it allows one to “mix and match.”

“There’s an endless amount of outfits you can have,” Walter said.

Though most days might call for a cardigan or pullover sweater, patterns can make the difference between a forgettable and unforgettable look.

A pair of tights along with a cardigan and boots can easily transform a dress into a piece that is ready for any cold temperatures that might come its way.

Such fashion tips for winter are not limited solely to women. Men could also take into account the minor details that can create an outfit that will force others to take notice.