When winter attacks

Short fun in snow leads to long term effects in classroom

Campus was closed two weeks ago for four days due to severe weather. Some students were happy, while others worried how it would effect the rest of the semester.

Missing almost a week of school was a blessing in disguise for some students, as they were able to relax and catch up on school work.

Mackenzie Wise said she enjoyed her time off and that it was well needed.

“I got to sleep more and rest,” said Wise, a junior general studies major. “That’s always a plus because I’m always so busy all the time.”

Wise said she doesn’t expect the weather to affect her as much as other students, since the majority of her classes are online.

“I have three online classes, so I’ve been doing work for them and I just have one class to go to,” Wise said.

Zach Markus is involved in campus activities this semester such as band and a role in the upcoming musical, “West Side Story.” Rehearsals for these activities were canceled and has made things a bit more difficult for him.

“Everyday I have at least one or two different rehearsals scheduled for a performing group,” said Markus, a junior music education major. “If I miss a practice, then I can practice all I want at home but there are things that the director needs to tell me.”

Markus said he feels certain that the weather will cause other challenges on campus, including student’s work loads.

“Teachers have a set list of things they need to get done so they’re going to be kind of doubling up on us,” Markus said.

Although making up his school work is non-negotiable, Markus hopes the state of Louisiana will be better prepared for such weather conditions, to keep students from missing  too much school.

“There are too many schools closing and they’re going to have to wise up,” said Markus. “We’ve got to be prepared.”

Faculty members are having to adjust their schedules too.

Bette Kauffman is a communications professor at ULM, who also works with practicum and internship students. She’s doing everything possible to catch up.

“Even though the university was closed, I met with a student because she lived on campus and could get to our appointment,” said Kauffman. “I knew I couldn’t cram everything in next week.”

Kafuffman said she doesn’t plan to eliminate any assignments from her syllabi. Her students will be responsible for material she usually goes over in class.

She also moved deadlines in her classes to give students more time to complete them.

Kauffman encourages students to use days like these to get caught up on their reading or anywhere else they may be falling behind.

“Check with your instructors to see if there’s something you can be reading or doing when class is not meeting,” Kauffman said.

Kauffman is determined to catch up since advising sessions are starting soon. She hopes campus will not close again this semester.

Campus officially reopened on Feb. 27 at 7:30 a.m. and closed again on Thursday due to more severe weather.