Budget Crisis: TOPS Back on Chopping

Louisiana’s budget proposal leaves many college students in desperate need of financial help.

Louisiana is facing a billion-dollar deficit.

Legislatures are considering reducing 80 percent of TOPS for students.

TOPS is a huge support system that helps many Louisiana students pays for college.

College enrollment could decrease if the Legislature agrees to the budget cut.

TOPS rewards are given to students who earn at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and at least a 20 or higher ACT score.

The rising cost of college worries students.

“College is real expensive. I would be considered a “broke college student” without TOPS”, secondary education major, Jnell Casborn said.

Governor John Bel Edwards, stands at a downfall with Louisiana’s House republican leaders after the state was perceived in debt of over one billion dollars with over the state’s budget.

Louisiana Legislature and higher education leaders are uncertain on how the billion dollars can be replaced, unless it involves cutting TOPS to fix this credit issue.

This budget cut is devastating to many students who are at risk of losing their scholarships.

“I feel like you’re taking away future doctors, lawyers and people who are actually going to give back,” psychology major, De’andra Lemalle said.

She is a recipient of TOPS.

“The government is making a mistake,” Lemalle continued.

TOPS also affect students considering attending college in Louisiana.

Students will be forced to look elsewhere to begin their college careers if they can’t afford to pay for college.

“To me, it is unconscionable to think we would renege on the TOPS promise. Unfortunately, I don’t believe there are a lot of other places that could be cut right now,” president of the University of Louisiana System, Dr. Jem Henderson said.

Before 2016, law approvals suggested giving full TOPS rewards to students with higher ACT scores while students with low ACT scores lose their entire reward scholarships earned.

“I feel like that is wrong. If a student met the requirements to receive TOPS why take away something fairly earned from them? It’s no right high or low score,” undergraduate nursing major, La’Kenya Morris said.

The Louisiana Legislature and Edwards changed the TOPS law in 2016 to make sure all students who qualified for TOPS would continue to receive some money even if there was a budget cut.

On Jan. 22, 2018, state lawmakers and executives of Louisiana will finalize their decision on tax payments to replace the $1-billion-dollar profit and pursue the arrangements to eliminate or put a hold on financial uncertainty, including TOPS.

In the meantime, students can call their state representatives to stress the importance of not cutting higher education funds.