Century Link Expands Monroe Job Opportunites

Century Link will create 150 new jobs in Monroe. They plan to open a new outbound sales center in the company’s location on Forsythe Avenue to serve small business customers in the U.S.

The jobs are primarily related to sales and marketing where candidates have to create sales in new accounts and cultivate new opportunities with existing accounts.

The primary objective of the sales center is to find technological solutions to the problems of small businesses and help them expand their enhanced services.

ULM students can use the new jobs as an opportunity to intern and seek possible employment after graduation.

Students will get a chance to learn the business and service-related skills while they are working towards their degree at ULM.

“Anything that brings new jobs to Monroe is very good for the economy of Monroe. More jobs mean more money.
Personally, I am looking for an internship, so I will apply for positions they have and possibly work there,” said senior business administration major Michael Long.

Jeffrey Storey, Century Link president and CEO, said that Century Link is excited to leverage northeast Louisiana’s talented workforce to provide small business customers with the support and resources they need to meet their company goals.

Century Link is one of Louisiana’s largest employers with 2700 workers and an annual Louisiana payroll exceeding $200 million.

Finance professor Eugenie Ardoin said, “The company employs several ULM graduates from accounting and finance as well as computer science and CINS. It also offers internship opportunities for ULM students in these same majors.”

The company’s growing labor force has included impacting the community. It will equip small businesses with latest digital tools needed for them to be successful in the global economy.

Century Link bringing new jobs to Monroe can help boost the small business economy in Monroe. Small businesses in Monroe will have the opportunity to expand and create more opportunities.

Senior risk management major Laycon Hair said, “It will give the feel of the city around college to the people. It also further increases the employment opportunities to the people as the businesses expand.”

Century Link also conducted a job fair in West Monroe on Feb. 12. The candidates were given a chance to complete the application and talk to the representatives of the company.

An employee from human resources conducted short interviews, and some of the candidates were shortlisted, while some other positions were explained to others.

“It is bringing new opportunities to the students who are interested in sales and marketing.

So, I believe if graduates want to stay here that will be a good option to look i to. I could have an internship and also get a platform to explore my interests and goals in,” aid freshman business marketing major Lauren Weeks.

The company will start training its new employees on Mar. 1. This is an opening of new opportunities for students interested in gaining new skills and boosting their resume.