PREP Spotlight: A new Warhawk takes flight

photo courtesy of Lydia Powell

“They told us everything we’d need to know to make it at ULM and made it fun at the same time. From the spirit competition, to the food (shout out to Schulze) and the hilarious variety show, it was really a memorable time,” Lydia said.

The Preview, Registration & Enrollment Program (PREP) at ULM can be nerve-wracking for incoming freshmen. Meeting new people, registering for classes and touring the campus are all activities to expect while at PREP.

Having to adjust to so many new things at once can be a feat in itself. However, Lydia Powell, an Ouachita High School graduate and future Warhawk, was ready for anything.  

Lydia is majoring in nursing. She said she chose nursing as a way to learn more and help others when something goes wrong. Her mother, Alma Anderson, is also a nurse.

“My husband, David, and I both attended POP. I was so relieved that ULM offered an orientation for parents,” said Anderson.

“We tend to be very protective.  Going through orientation parallel to her helped us loosen the grip and really feel like it was going to be ok.  She will be taken care of.”

Lydia said she was interested in joining clubs, and there were several to choose from. The marketplace was filled with booths, all featuring different student organizations.

“While enrolled at ULM, I hope to explore the art program, the NAACP club, the African-Caribbean club, Femhawks, the Health Studies Student Association and the Student Nurses Association,” she said.

Lydia’s mom said the campus was beautiful and the program was well-organized. One of her favorite moments was the “Fiesta” at Bayou Pointe. The event, which was a part of POP, included food, drinks and great views of the campus.

“The diversity of the PREP staff was very impressive, having students from all different backgrounds and majors. This represents a wealth of knowledge and life experiences that they are then able to share with incoming freshmen,” Anderson said.

Both Lydia and her mom said they enjoyed the variety show and how high the energy was throughout PREP. “Involved students are the best cheerleaders for any school.  The prep staff’s affection and excitement for ULM really did spread like a fire through the incoming freshmen and parents,” Anderson said.

Lydia said that PREP was pretty awesome, overall. “It was very fun, entertaining and informational,” she said. Lydia has many opportunities ahead of her. She said she is ready to start her college journey and see what ULM has in store.

“Thanks to ULM for recognizing how important this life transition is for students and parents alike and for providing a meaningful way for the parents to be a part of this transition with their children,” Anderson said.

Welcome to ULM, Lydia.

The next PREP session begins tomorrow, and the last one of the summer will take place next week.