It’s our fault for enabling bad behavior

It’s not television producers and networks that are condon­ing bad behavior. It’s US. I’m not just talking about the col­lective “we,” I’m talking about the weekly magazine. Far be it for me to throw stones from my glass house — I’ll go get a haircut just so I can read the tabloids, and I don’t even have hair.

As long as we demand fresh, salacious content, someone will supply it.

But here’s the thing: Would we even care about Lindsay Lohan unless she was commit­ting felonies? I can only name one of her films, but I can eas­ily rattle off how many times she’s been to rehab. Let’s face it; Lindsay, the actress, isn’t nearly as interesting as Lindsay, the train wreck.

Which brings us to the Oc­tagon and Charlie Sheen, who awaits us there with his fire-breathing fists.

There is a fundamental part of us that wants to blur the line between fictional Charlie on the show, a boozing woman­izer with questionable morals that lead to conflict and bad decision-making and the real Charlie who, well, … wait a sec­ond, is there even a line to be blurred here?

No. Because as much as we pray for Mr. Sheen to get bet­ter, that’s not what we want at all — unless he’s doing it on “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.” What we really want is fresh, salacious content. More trains. More wrecks.

So perhaps it’s time we stop pointing fingers at the greedy network fatcats who tolerate and enable bad behavior and start thinking about how often those same fingers guide mous­es over to our bookmarks and click on TMZ.