Jackson 5 star inspires fans, students

Srdjan Marjanovic

Campus was abuzz Friday afternoon with the arrival of Marlon Jackson, who spoke to a crowd of enthusiastic students and fans at the Emy-Lou Biedenharn Recital Hall.  Regarded as one of the first families of American music, Marlon, along with brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, and Michael, rose to unprecedented heights of success as the Jackson 5.  Songs such as “I Want You Back,” “ABC” and “I’ll Be There” captivated millions and gave the group a loyal following across the world.
Since leaving the music business, Jackson said his family’s fame has afforded him to travel the world and encourage others to discover their own talents and be successful.
“Every one of you is blessed with a gift,” encouraged Jackson. “Once you find it, exercise it to it’s fullest.”
By using his own gift, Jackson understands that the music he created with his brothers can bring people together and promote peace and understanding in the world.
“My real mission is to talk about peace and figure out how I can unite the world,” said Jackson, “music is the universal language and our music brought all nationalities together.”
Dressed in a black suit and looking out from a pair of dark sunglasses, Jackson possessed the same charisma and rapport with the audience that made him and his brothers superstars over 40 years ago.
“Without you, we wouldn’t be where we are today,” Jackson thanked the audience, “We appreciate you and your support.”
The Jacksons have always enjoyed a special relationship with their fans, who have supported the family through their many ups and downs, including Michael’s meteoric rise as a solo artist and tragic death in 2009.  Even today, this bond is as strong as ever, and many around the community took advantage of this opportunity to meet Jackson.
T.J. Stephenson, a minister at St. James United Methodist Church in Monroe, even had a surprise of her own.  Dressed in her ‘Thriller” t-shirt, Stephenson presented Marlon with two caricature sketches that Michael had done for her on an airplane while she was working as a flight attendant.  She wasn’t shy about her allegiance to the Jacksons, particularly Michael, as she played her “Beat It” ringtone for everyone waiting in line to hear.
“I had more time with MJ [Michael Jackson] than Oprah did!” joked  Stephenson.

Also a community activist, Stephenson uses the message of the Jacksons’ music as inspiration to help others.  “That’s the Michael in me,” she said.
After hearing that Jackson would be visiting the area, Russ Cannon, of Oak Grove, knew he would be in attendance.
“I’ve got to be there,” he said of his reaction to the news Jackson would be in Monroe, “for sure.”
Cannon, who discovered the Jackson 5 through airplay on KNOE radio and their famous appearance on the “Ed Sullivan Show,” has been collecting Jackson memorabilia since the 1970s.
“I saw the Jackson 5 in 1971, the first time they came to Monroe,” said Cannon. “During that time, I kept the concert programs and ticket stubs and had them professionally framed.”
Cannon also collects Jackson 5 dolls and Christmas ornaments.  He speculates he has anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 worth of Jackson collectables.
Choosing to focus on his speaking engagements and the California real estate business, Marlon Jackson has been out of the entertainment spotlight since completing a reality show with brothers Jackie, Tito and Jermaine in January 2010.
Although vague, Jackson took the time to let fans know that he and his brothers are discussing the possibility of a new tour.  Fans in attendance made sure to let Marlon know that if he and his brothers were to play in Monroe, they would certainly be there.
“It would be great,” said Cannon at the possibility of a reunion, “especially if they come to Monroe.”