Categories:

3 on-campus event you might have missed

Dashain and Tihar Festival
Dashain and Tihar Festival

The Nepalese Student Association (NSA) is planning events to celebrate Dashain and Tihar, two major festivals symbolizing the victory of good over evil and the festival of lights.

“Dashain and Tihar represent much more than celebrations,” sophomore representative Deepika Baruwal said. “They are about bringing the community together and keeping our cultural traditions alive for the students here at ULM.”

On Oct. 14, the NSA organized a Tika Night, during which attendees received a mixture of Tika and Jamara. The event signifies the blessings of elders, family unity, the passing of prosperity, and health and success. More events will be announced after fall break.

Becoming Louisiana Book Club
Becoming Louisiana Book Club

Created by the School of Humanities, “Becoming Louisiana” is a semester-long project that “explores marginalized identities through literature and local nonprofits.”

“I created a class—ENGL3009—where I wanted to focus on marginalized identities in Louisiana,” assistant English professor Jaleesa Harris, Ph.D., said. “I wanted the text to correlate to specific identities.”

Another “Becoming Louisiana” meeting will be held for the fall semester, covering “Settling St. Malo” by Randy Gonzales. He will be present during the discussion.

If interested, message Harris at [email protected] or assistant English professor Meredith McKinnie at [email protected].

Sigma Tau Delta Movie Night
Sigma Tau Delta Movie Night

International English Honor Society Sigma Tau Delta hosted a movie night featuring assistant professor of English Patrick Morgan’s favorite movie, “The Fisher King.”
“This year marks the 10th anniversary of the passing of Robin Williams, and so we wanted to commemorate that by watching one of his films,” Morgan said. “The first thought for a Robin Williams literary-themed movie might be ‘Dead Poets Society,’ but he acted in many movies inspired by literature, including the 1991 film, ‘The Fisher King.’”
Future Sigma Tau Delta events are still in the works, so stay on the lookout for more literature-related fun.