Popular shows miss mark on gay community

With shows like “Modern Family,” “The New Normal” and “Glee,” the homosexual lifestyle has received much attention. But do these shows give an accurate portrayal of the gay community?

Although these shows depict the relationships between gay men and women, some students say the shows don’t focus as much on other struggles.

“I don’t like how you never really get the full effect of what it’s like being gay. They show you the lives of gay relationships and not the struggle of admitting it to yourself or society,” said Desara Cunningham, a junior history major. “It’s not always a comedy in the real world.”

“The New Normal” is about two gay male partners who would like to have a baby.  The two men find a surrogate who is willing to carry their baby. “The New Normal” depicts a new kind of family.

“Glee” focuses on many diverse relationships but it also draws attention to the gay community through characters like Kurt.

Although Kurt has a strong personality, the show presents the struggles he’s dealt with after coming out to his father and friends.

“Kurt never went through any of the hell I went through as a student. I was kicked out and shunned from my family. As so many of us are,” said Blake Hagan, a junior music education major.

In “Modern Family,” Cameron and Mitchell show what it’s like to raise a family while also going through the struggles of being in a relationship.

Cunningham said, “Gays are just another relationship out in the world trying to make it work with the pressure of the public and society plus the regular relationship situations.”

Whether it’s a positive or negative look at the gay community, some students say they like that the gay community has received attention from these shows.

“I like that people are watching the shows. ‘The New Normal’ and ‘Modern Family’ give people a connection with the characters,” Cunningham said.

Hagan said he likes “the idea that people are free to be themselves” because of these shows but Hagan also said he’s aware that some people oppose the shows and aren’t accepting of the gay community.

“I wish people could just be themselves without any kind of second glances. But that’s just not how it is,” said Hagan.