Helpful tips for cheap Halloween costumes

Looking for that great costume for Halloween can be a nightmare on your wallet. Sure, it may be easy to buy a run-of-the-mill costume off the rack at the typical Halloween store, but you may be spending more than you probably should.

Designing a costume on a budget these days is a lot easier than it sounds. You don’t even need to be a sewing wizard, either. Websites like Pinterest and YouTube can help with costume concepts and show how easy it is to put a costume together with only a little cash.

Designing a costume yourself ensures that it will be unique and awesome, just like you. You don’t have to be an artist or know about fashion to make one, either. Simply think about the character you want to be at the party, and go from there.

Next, think if you do want to sew, because craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels and even Wal-Mart have sewing patterns for costumes.

Not a fan of the needle and thread? Never fear, scissors are here. Using scissors and fabric glue will help if you aren’t a genius at sewing. But if you know someone who is, try to get them to help you.

Fabric dyes are not just for hippies any more, unless you’re going to dress up like one. Dyes can also give some great color and dimension to your ensemble, and it’s another easy way to be creative. And remember, construction paper, aluminum foil and cotton balls are your friends, so use them.

Second hand stores like Goodwill have cheap t-shirts and other clothes you can use as fabric. Buying five shirts at Goodwill is cheaper than buying tons of fabric at the store that you will probably use half of. Also try felt fabrics and polyester instead of using leather to achieve the look you want.

Sometimes spandex and tights are the way to go, especially if you are going to be a superhero or villain. Using extra large t-shirts can make a great cape, too.

If you’re looking for the girly route, like a princess or flapper girl, tulle is your new best friend. Tulle skirts are very easy to make and there are plenty of bloggers out there making them. Look for a short sleeveless dress for the flapper costume, and glue fringe and sequins on for the flair.

A mask can always transform any formal outfit into a mysterious masquerader. Romancing The Stone, located in Pecan Land Mall, has many quirky and unique items along with masks to help make your costume much more unique.

And in the end; if you find yourself cramming at the last minute to find a costume, using a few of these tricks can help create a wonderful treat for Halloween.