Letter to the Editor: Politics, election should not weaken others’ characters

This past election brought the worst out of people. I could not believe some of the statements I read on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. I seen inappropriate comments made both from African American and the Caucasian race. It deeply bothers me how our generation can be so simple-minded.

There was one comment that caught my attention the most, and that was a comment made by a ULM student. Its one thing to see a comment made by somebody from another city or state but to see a comment made by our own student body pushes a totally different button. So as I was reading through my timeline, a tweet that stated “America remember in this case. Once you go black you CAN go back! Romneyn2012” I don’t have a problem with people expressing their opinions but it is a different story when that opinion becomes discriminatory. You have the right to vote for whomever you please but there is a fine line between an opinion and a discriminatory statement.

After, the ULM student continued and retweeted a statement that reads as follows “President Obama has been a tremendous inspiration for African Americans, not only did you get a job, he kept it for 4 years”. These tweets were widely retweeted and it was estimated that over 150,000 people were exposed to the tweet from the ULM student and she still receives tweets from it. This not only makes our University look bad by having ULM in her bio, but she misrepresented her Greek organization on campus as well. I just hate to see this going on at our campus or anywhere at that matter. Its 2012 and we should be at a point where everybody respect each other. Politics should never diminish someone’s character.

Brandon Boone

Senior

Marketing