VAPA offering workshop for musical auditions

Step into the world of gangsters, show girls and 1950’s New York City.

The name of the spring musical is “Guys and Dolls.”

Students interested in auditioning may attend an audition workshop on Nov. 18 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Brown Auditorium.

The workshop is designed to help students who may be uncomfortable or nervous about the audition process. Students are already preparing for audition day.

“I’ve been taking voice lessons for the past couple of months and I’m going to go to the workshop,” said Abby Herman, a junior math major.

Students who attend the workshop will be given the opportunity to spend time with the musical staff, read from the script and learn choreography that will be a part of the actual audition.

Auditions for the spring musical, “Guys and Dolls” will be held at 1 p.m on Dec. 2 in Brown Auditorium.

The show will be directed by Robin Stephens, who also directed this past year’s sold-out spring musical- “Chicago.”

Singing, dancing and acting will all be incorporated into the show.

“I think people think this is easy…it is so collaborative it’s crazy,” said Stephens. “It’s funny and the music is fabulous.”

Unlike “Chicago,” this piece is a musical comedy- it’s a fluffier story line, but it’s real.

“Guys and Dolls” had a great run on Broadway and won “Best Musical of the Year.”

It was eventually made into a movie, starring the crooner of the day, Frank Sinatra. The musical did return to Broadway and won ‘Best Revival.’

“There are so many extremely talented people coming out for the show that I would love to work alongside. I will just be happy to be involved in any aspect of the show,” said Melissa Champion, a senior vocal performance major. Champion played one of the lead characters in “Chicago” last semester.

Students will need to bring 16 to 32 bars of a prepared song to the actual auditions.

There will be a live pianist to accompany during the singing portion. Students wishing to audition should wear nice clothes, but must also be able to dance in them.

The show involves all kinds of elements and characters including Salvation Army evangelists trying to save souls, underworld gangsters and the show girl/night club atmosphere.

“I think we are going to have a really wonderful show,” said Stephens.