Letter from the Editor: Chief Hawkeye editor bids farewell to staff, students

Dear readers,

For the past year I have had the honor of serving as the editor in chief of this newspaper. Now the time has come for me to say goodbye and thank you to a paper that has meant so much to me.

I transferred to ULM in the spring of 2011 and began writing for the Hawkeye. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.

In the last two years I’ve grown to love my university in large part because I’ve gotten to meet so many of you. Telling your stories gave me a much needed purpose in my life and helped me find my calling to journalism.

I honestly don’t know where I’d be without the opportunities this school and this paper have afforded me. I will forever be grateful to ULM and the Hawkeye for giving me a chance to learn and grow as a professional and as a person.

I will cherish the memories I have made working with such a fantastic staff. Spending every weekend together working some very long days can be grueling, but I’m glad I had some great people there with me. I don’t think you could ever truly know how much you’ve meant to me.

I’m very proud of the work we’ve produced and the accomplishments we’ve achieved since I’ve been an editor. I know that the continued support from the university and further investment in the mass communication field will yield one of the strongest programs in the region.

Though he’ll hate I’m mentioning him at all, I’d also like to specifically thank my adviser and mentor Christopher Mapp for all that he has taught me. I know that whatever success I might achieve in the future, I would not have gotten there without the wisdom and knowledge he passed on to me. Hopefully one day I can do the same for another aspiring journalist.

As I say goodbye to the Hawkeye, I now take the next step in my career as a writer for the News Star. I know that the paper and ULM will always be with me. It’s because of ULM I am the person I am today.

Thank you so much for letting me tell your stories.

Sincerely,

Cole Avery