Instagram, Facebook making photography industry shutter

From Facebook to Instagram, documenting our lives has become essential to society.

There seems to be an increase of people on Facebook creating photography business pages. Thanks to creative digital additions like Photoshop and other editing tools, just about anyone can pick up a camera and call themselves photographers.

It is one thing to pay over $600 for a camera but knowing how to use it is another.

Staci Albritton attributes her success to her customer service and quality of the finished product, something many newbies might not have.

“[Customers] want a true professional, they want it done right,”Albritton said.

Senior speech language pathology major Holly Hendrix works for Albritton and said she has noticed a decline in high school senior portraits.

“I think a lot of people doing amateur photography are aiming at seniors because it’s easier to do than something like newborn photos,” said Hendrix.

Albritton Photography focuses a lot on quality, which is important to their customers. An amateur photographer will not have the same experience as a licensed photographer who knows how to manage a business, too.

Knowing photography is an accredited major at most universities, it is plain to see one must be taught the ins and outs of the trade.

Many courses like fashion and archaeological photography show how broad the field really is.

“Photographers need to know how to market and sell their products. There are a lot of photography schools and many programs offered like Professional Photographers of Louisiana and Professional Photographers of America,” said Albritton.

She said that if they are really interested in this career path, then they should take classes and major in it if they can.