Monroe Mardi Gras: Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Every year, the people of  Monroe love to come together to celebrate the one and only Louisiana holiday, Mardi Gras.

Although it may not be New Orleans, Monroe has a lot to offer for those wanting to participate in the events.

The Krewe of Janus is the big parade in the Monroe area, which has been around since 1984.

The group was originally started by the Twin Cities Jaycees because they needed a signature event to form a group.

The Krewe of Janus is named after the Roman god Janus, god of beginnings and transitions.

Janus is also the god from east to west, which is relevant to the Monroe and West Monroe areas.

The crowds have grown from 35,000 in 1984 to 175,000 in 2011.

“The Roman god Janus fits for our crew perfectly because it shows the transition from Twin Cities Jaycee to the Krewe of Janus,” said charter member of 30 years, Janet Breard.

Krewe of Janus has over 100 members and holds annual meetings for those interested in membership.

The minimum age to get involved with the Krewe of Janus is 21.

The theme for this year is “Carnivale Extravaganza,”  like Carnivale in Rio de Janeiro.

From bright colors to feathers and original Mardi Gras beads and trinkets, krewe member Pam Tisdale explains that the parade will be full of excitement.

“The parade is family friendly and appropriate for children of all ages.” said Tisdale. “We keep everything under control and expect to have great throws this year.”

The Krewe of Janus is known to put on popular events such as the Mardi Gras Ball, the crawfish boil, supporting ULM baseball during their games and Battle of the Bands.

Most importantly, though, is bingo.

The weekly bingo sessions are what pay for the parade every year as well as donations for charity.

The Royalty Court of the Krewe of Janus make their appearance at the ULM Mardi Gras Ball every year.

This year the Krewe of Janus is sponsoring the Foodbank of Northeast Louisiana Backpack Program, where they will help feed underprivileged children.

The program allows children in need to bring home a backpack full of nutritious food.

Mardi Gras in Monroe will take place all day on Saturday, Feb. 2. The Krewe of Janus  Children’s Parade will start at 10:30 a.m. at Pecanland Mall, followed by a pet parade sponsored by PAWS of Northeast Louisiana around 1:30 p.m. at the 100th block of Commerce Street in Antique Alley.

The finale will be the Krewe of Janus Parade at 6 p.m., which will begin at Nachitoches Street at North 8th Street and end at Louisville Avenue at Breard Street.

“I feel that we are bringing the rich Mardi Gras culture from south Louisiana to north Louisiana.” said Breard. “The Krewe of Janus has inspired a lot of students and children since the beginning.”

Anyone interested in becoming a part of the Krewe of Janus or PAWS of Northeast Louisiana can go to kreweofjanus.com or pawsnela.org for more information.