Guns needs regulating; Obama’s proposal helps

When it comes to the president’s new gun control proposal, I can’t understand what all the uproar among people is about.

Many people, and of course the National Rifle Association, are claiming Obama is being a tyrant and trying to take away all of America’s guns.

The Republican National Committee said, “President Obama’s series of gun control measures amount to executive power grab that may please his political base but will not solve the problems at hand.”

While it’s true none of his proposals or executive actions would have stopped the Sandy Hook tragedy, Obama’s proposals do solve some problems at hand.

Some helpful actions his proposal would take would be: ordering tougher penalties for people who lie on background checks, requiring background checks for all gun buyers and increasing criminal penalties for “straw purchasers,” or people who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.

Which of these proposals, just to name a few, are so ridiculous?  Which would prevent ordinary mentally sane citizens from buying guns at a store?

Jerry Henry of the Georgiacarry.org website, claims Obama’s proposals were misdirected by saying: “He did absolutely nothing to address the criminal element.”

But according to a 2009 study from the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research: “Data from a national survey of inmates indicated that nearly 80 percent of those who had used a handgun in a crime had acquired it through a transaction with an individual who was not a licensed gun dealer.” That would include gun shows and straw purchasers.

But of course when Minnesota tried to pass a law getting background checks at gun shows, the NRA freaked out and said the proposal is a “stepping stone for gun control advocates seeking to ban all private sales, even among family and friends.”

Considering how many criminals get guns from these private sales, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if that came to pass.

I will agree with anti-gun control advocates who believe that Obama needs to focus on laws that do a better job of identifying mentally unhealthy people, who have been mostly responsible for the recent mass murders in America.

But a fact that a lot of people complaining about these proposals are missing, is that it won’t matter if Obama cracked down on mentally ill people buying guns with the current loopholes.

There would still be ways for those individuals to get guns. There is no background check at gun shows or certain online websites, which is why people should be supporting Obama’s proposals to crack down on guns.