Barnes succeeds in art competition

Photo by Emi McIntyreULM graphic design major Rachel Barnes was honored to have her logos selected to represent the ULM Dance Department and the Dance Honor Society.

Assistant professor of Theatre and Dance Tina Mullone asked professor Brian Fassett’s advanced graphic design class to create a crest for the new Dance Honor Society also known as Chi Tau Epsilon.

The small group of students who competed for the recognition was required to use school colors and incorporate dance but not a particular style.

A crest was needed for Chi Tau Epsilon to establish the group and promote awareness for those who share a passion for dance. Mullone said this 1-year-old dance organization is for anyone and members are not required to be involved in dance classes or studying dance.

“Rachel’s logo just popped out to Robin Stephens and I,” said Mullone. “They are really simple and to the point. They were exactly what we were looking for.”

Mullone mentions that Barnes, an art major with a focus in graphic design, took dance classes in the past, which she feels may have inspired the logos.

Her interest in graphic design sparked in her sophomore year of high school when the year book peaked her interests.

“We are all products of the environment we choose to surround ourselves with. As an artist, I am an avid believer that our environments are what influence our artistic choices the most,” Barnes said.

Barnes is honored to have been selected to represent her logo for the ULM Dance Department and Chi Tau Epsilon. Her logos will be seen on the ULM Website, Browse on the Bayou and in brochures featured by ULM.

Fassett was thrilled to give his class the option to participate in this opportunity.

Fassett said that his graphic design students have a reputation of volunteering for various projects asked by ULM and peers.

“I’ve been very blessed with the brightest students, who I can always depend on,” said Fassett. “Barnes has been a great student ever since I’ve known her and I’m proud of her accomplishments.”

He also mentioned that graphic design students have to think beyond the clients and meet communication needs, which he said can be a tedious task.

Barnes said she is grateful for her experiences.

“Graphic design has become an outlet for me to connect as well as communicate to the public while drawing inspiration from my surroundings.” Barnes said.