Humility: what some of us lack

Younger generations seem to always be criticized by the generations before them. The ‘new’ generation is not as hard working, not as polite or not as money savvy as the ‘older’ generation.

We are Generation Y- generally considered to be people born between 1977 and 1994. We are the generation of, “look at how beautiful and amazing I am—just look at my 400 ‘selfies’ on Facebook.”

Of course, we aren’t the only generation to get looked down on.

“It’s a hoot to hear modern kids described as self-indulgent by the generation that created its own culture out of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll,” said Steve Chapman, columnist and editorial writer for the Chicago Tribune, in an online article, “Have We Raised a Generation of Narcissists?”

See, every generation has its faults. Now it’s time to address ours.

I’ll be the first to agree that this generation is filled with narcissistic people. Take Facebook for example. I truly think that there are people out there who think that every thought that comes into their minds is a little golden nugget of coveted knowledge.

God forbid someone disagree with said type of person’s status and starts an argument- you have seen this before- the almighty “status war.”

People go back and forth on topics they, in all honesty, probably don’t even know much about—other than what they’ve been told. Even if they are both experts on the debated subject, why can’t people just have their own opinions? Why have a public fight on a website?

We like to hear our own voice. We like to be right. We like the attention and praise we get for being right. See the word “narcissism.”

If you really think about it, it makes sense that we would be a narcissistic group. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve gotten on Facebook and have seen ‘memes’ with inspirational, self-loving, don’t-need-a-man quotes plastered over a picture of a girl dramatically looking out of a window into the rain—I. Would. Be. Rich.

I’ve even posted my fair share.

Self-love is good. In fact, I encourage a healthy amount of self-love, but please note that self-love and self-respect are two different things in my book.

Let’s face it. Self-love is applauded, and to a certain extent rightfully so, but I think the approval that is received when one exudes confidence, independence and an indifferent attitude towards society can become addicting.

You ever notice how many ‘likes’ a status or a ‘selfie’ picture with a quote above it will receive if it is about self-love/confidence? It’s generally quite a few.

Sure, too much self-confidence probably isn’t the worst thing in the world, but there are definitely some downfalls. For instance, love. What happens when self-love prevails so much in you that you can’t love anyone else as much?

Employment can become an issue too. People with extreme narcissistic and entitlement tendencies can feel like they can only have the best of everything.

Power, glory and success; they can only work with the best of the best because anyone or anything else would be beneath them.

No one should have that mindset,  especially not someone who is 22-years-old and has not paid their dues long enough to even consider thoughts like that.

Now before you have steam coming out of your ears, let me say this. Obviously, not all young 20-somethings think this way. Unfortunately, it only takes a few spoiled, rotten eggs in a basket of good ones to make the whole thing stink.

Narcissism is essentially a personality disorder. We are literally making our own generation sick and infecting ourselves. Yes, this narcissism is self-inflicted. And yes, I’m sure our parents had a little something to do with it, but we can change it. We can become more humble, pay our dues and respect our elders and ourselves. Self-love doesn’t have to turn into an obsession.

Come on Generation Y, we’re making ourselves look bad, which is ironic because narcissistic people strive to look good.