Men and women: does ‘just friends’ exist?

There are a lot of unanswered questions in this world.

Are leggings pants? Why does Disney insist on making everyone pop singers? Can men and women just be friends?

According to “When Harry Met Sally” the answer is no because sex always gets in the way.

Movies like “Friends with Benefits,” “No Strings Attached” and “Just Friends” are built around the notion that opposite-sex friendships blossom into romantic love all of the time. This reinforces the idea that no, men and women cannot be just friends.

Not everyone agrees.

“Men and women were meant to coexist. There will always be people that say they can’t be friends. But I personally have had some of my best friends that were male,” said Rachel Barnes, a junior graphic design major.

When many people hear the infamous question, they automatically think of relationships. So sometimes people do say men and women can just be friends because obviously you don’t get into a relationship with everyone of the opposite sex you meet. So in that sense it is true that they can be just friends. But does having a sexual thought or wondering “what if?” count as crossing the boundary of “just friends?” Even if it is all happening in the safety of someone’s mind, does even mulling over possibilities mean men and women cannot be strictly friends with zero sexual tension whatsoever?

Aaron Head, a pre-pharmacy major, said he has had friendships with girls before with no sexual tension, but then he has had some where there has been sexual tension present.

“It’s just up to the person and situation whether or not they choose to act upon it,” Head said.

For many, the “friend zone” is an all-too familiar place. The unfortunate experience of going through unrequited love can often ruin opposite-sex friendships. However, if the friendships can muddle through the stickiness of the situation and make it to the other side, then there is a good chance  from that point on these two people could be just friends.

Mark Kerry, a senior biology major, said if both parties lay out the terms then a platonic friendship is possible.

“Both have to go in thinking ‘we are just friends,’ or have a mutual agreement,” Kerry said.

While the official answer to whether men and women can just be friends might still remain a mystery, according to these Warhawks, a friendship is at least possible.

It is up to the two people to set boundaries.