Society goes nuts for health, beauty essentials

After nearly 4,000 years- society’s finally caught on. Once a oil used in food that was considered extremely unhealthy, coconut oil is the new cool kid in school.

Coconut oil has been popular all around the globe – from South America to Africa and most of Asia, according to Coconut Connections website.

Huffington Post recently ran an article about the miracle product, stating although it is a saturated fat, it has many benefits that make it unique, unlike the common saturated fat we know as butter.

The ‘Dr. Oz show’ did a special on coconut oil’s benefits. It has been known to lower cholesterol because it contains a saturated fat called lauric acid, which is also found in breast milk.

“Lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels,” the show said.

According to WebMD, coconut oil has been used to help with diabetes, heart disease and chronic fatigue among many other ailments. It has even been known to be a natural energy stimulant.

Coconut oil comes in a solid form and is said to “be rich in antioxidants and known to help boost your body’s immunity,” Huffington Post said.

It can keep skin healthy and soft as well as hair.

Freshman biology major Kalie Sebren said she has tried a coconut oil product in her hair and it made it too greasy.

To use coconut oil in your hair, the directions say to use a spoonful and melt it so it is more like a liquid. Be sure to wash hair regularly after applying. If you’re not sure about putting coconut oil in your hair, drinking coconut milk or juice can help your overall health.

“I haven’t used it much but it makes my hair smell good,” said senior speech-language pathology major Holly Hendrix. Hendrix said she wants to make her own hair treatment like the many recipes seen on Pinterest.

If used in appropriate doses, coconut oil is said to help the digestive system by regulating bowel movements, according to foodlve.com.  The oil can help kill certain types of stomach parasites that can cause stomach aches.

Virgin coconut oil is known as the best and you can cook with it, as long as you don’t mind a slight coconut flavor to your food.

Coconut oil can be purchased at the local grocery or health food store. Fiesta Nutrition Center in Monroe has a variety of coconut oils to choose from.

Many blogs report using coconut oil as a beauty regimen, from applying as a lip balm to even using while shaving your legs.

Since it is an oil, it provides instant moisture to the dry areas, locking it in to keep skin soft. To apply topically, use a small amount and apply to dry areas of the skin.

Although this product has many health benefits, consuming coconut oil in excess is warned about by health organizations because it has high levels of saturated fat.