Spring musical success, inspiration for more people to join the arts

Luck be cast and crew. Luck be VAPA. Luck be me and you. VAPA’s “Guys and Dolls” opened Thursday night with a bang.

Rain or shine, nothing could keep the crowd away from seeing this showcase of students perform a highly anticipated musical.

I’ll admit before I saw “Guys and Dolls” I had no idea what the musical was going to be about.

I went in with a blank slate of expectation, ready to immerse myself in the musical.

This musical takes place during the height of the New York scene.

The program even mentions how “Guys and Dolls” embodies New York and its people.

As the overture started, my heart started to race, and I’m sure the cast was high off adrenaline at that point.

Each cast member’s performance, from those dancing to the main parts of Sarah Brown and Sky Masterson, was highly entertaining.

I would have to say the character I enjoyed the most was Nathan Detroit.  He was funny, sneaky and really embodied a gambling man.

I am thoroughly amazed at how talented our student body is. People I see everyday transformed into stars on the stage at night. I appreciate the fact that our university is able to provide such entertainment for our campus.

It would be cruel of me to mention how great the cast was without telling you how surprised I was by the orchestra.

Every note danced through Brown Auditorium with beauty; I felt as if I were at an opera.

I cannot begin to explain how impressed I was with the quality of music that was produced, but it was nothing short of perfect.

I want to personally congratulate Cody Jackson on his amazing toe-touches. As a former dancer, I envy you.

My favorite song was “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat.”

This number was so lively with everyone running around on stage dancing, paired with some of the best singing I’ve ever heard.

The choreography was so amazing during this performance.

It was cleverly done and each dance number matched the scenes so well.

A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this production. “Guys and Dolls” is a musical everyone can enjoy and I’m sure it will inspire the younger generation to participate in the arts.

Director Robin Stephens guaranteed the audience that this musical would “knock you off your feet.”

I was brought to my feet at the end, when I gave the cast a standing ovation.