Students get Chingy with it

Students get Chingy with it

An empty stage anxiuosly awaits for the next performer to appear.

But no one is around.

The announcer again welcomes the next performer to the stage, but no one is there.

A rap mix starts up—suddenly—he appears out of nowhere.

He comes out in a navy snapback, a light blue shirt, a gold watch and of course gold all in his chain.

He’s fearless.

The young man smiles and begins to rap for the audience.

This scene took place at the annual Spring Fever Concert. The concert sums up the majority of the week and is usually the big finale for students.

The song being performed is called “Project X2,” an original track created by Keldric Bonton.

The song was inspired by an actual house party that Kel attended last year thrown by a few ULM students.

“It’s a blessing to be in the building.” said Bonton. “I encourage everyone to follow their hearts and dreams no matter what anyone says. Have faith that God will lead you where he wants you to go.”

Bonton is a senior mass comm major from Alexandria. He has been working with music for six years now and is also working on his seventh mixtape.

Some of his inspirations include Earth, Wind, & Fire, Luther Vandross, Drake and Whitney Houston.

The headliners for the concert were TPain and Chingy, opened up by Trey Parker, Kel and B. Smyth.

Trey Parker (Silas Trey P. Stapleton) is also a student from ULM who graduated with a degree in music and is from Jackson, Miss.

B. Smyth, 19, is an aspiring performer from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., who has only been in the music business for about a year now.

His fame developed from YouTube this the past year. Smyth said that his inspiration is Micheal Jackson because his talent.

Everyone has tried to moonwalk at least once and all of Jackson’s work is phenomenal, according to Smyth.

“The concert was amazing.” said Mone’t Zeno, a sophomore education major. “My favorite part, of course, was B. Smyth since he’s extremely good looking and has the voice of an angel. I feel like he’s going to be really big really soon.”

Although Waka Flocka Flame, the original headliner for the show, was not able to make it, Chingy was quick to fill his place. Chingy has been in the music industry since 2002 as a popular hip-hop artist from St. Louis, Mo.

Some of his debut tracks include “Right Thurr,” 2003, “Pullin’ Me Back” and “Dem Jeans,” 2006.

This was Chingy’s first time performing in Monroe.

“I would give the same energy I would to an audience of one or two people that I would to an audience of thousands.” said Chingy. “It’s important to make the audience feel like they are a part of a show and that they are included.”