Seniors Recap: Graduating Warhawks share favorite memories from their time at ULM

Convocation is a symbolic walk for incoming freshmen. They gather at the front of the library, a place where they will most likely study more hours than they can ever imagine.

The walk begins and takes them over a balloon-lined bridge to Fant-Ewing coliseum.

Excitement is probably the best word to describe the atmosphere of the future graduating class of Warhawks as they gather into the old building.

Four years ago was no exception to this tradition.

The class of 2013 will officially mark the end of their college journey, ending in the same place it began. Fant-Ewing.

“I’m extremely proud of myself,” said Aaron Willet, a senior music theory and composition major.

Willet completed his degree in four years despite the fact he changed his major along the way.

“I didn’t see myself being able to handle the amount of work and the amount of stress that comes along with being a music major. I didn’t think that I would do as well as I have,” Willet said.

A number of seniors said their favorite college memory had a little something to do with the football team this year.

For Willet, it was the ULM-ARK game.

“[I remember] being about thirty minutes away from campus, watching the ULM-ARK game. When we won, I heard that everyone was partying in front of Malone stadium. I got in my car and flew back to campus to be a part of the huge celebration,” Willet said. “That was the first time the campus really felt united to me.”

College can be stressful at times but students find enjoyable moments that make it all worth their while.

Senior toxicology major Victoria Burleigh said going to the Independce Bowl will be her favorite memory she carries with her.

“I enjoyed getting to see our school succeed and football is something that I enjoy,” Burleigh said.

Exams, studying and no sleep are quite common among college students.

According to Shaleka Griffin, a senior kinesiology major, the lessons learned are by no means confined to the classroom.

“I learned a lot about life, love and friendship,” Griffin said. “I had fun in the library study rooms. I might not have gotten a lot of studying done, but I got a lot of great memories.”

Students said they learned more outside of the classroom during the past four years than they ever thought they would.

Campus organizations are one of the many ways doors are open for students that can lead them in many different directions.

“I joined the choir and it’s become basically my family away from my family. It gives me a sense of family that I otherwise wouldn’t get here,” said Allison Friloux, a senior vocal education major.

Some seniors wanted to give any incoming freshmen some “elderly” advice and wisdom.

“Patience is a virtue that I have learned. College is really stressful and it’s really easy to be hard on yourself,” Friloux said. “You have to allow yourself to be patient because college is really stressful at times.”

Griffin said freshmen should slow down and take it all in.

“Enjoy it because it goes by fast,” Griffin said.

Graduation for the class of 2013 will be in the Fant-Ewing coliseum Saturday, May 11, at 10 a.m.