Why we shouldn’t boycott Sochi

Newton’s third law of motion says “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” The law applies to science but it feels like it took place during the gay rights movement as well.
Four days after the U.S. Supreme court declared DOMA unconstitutional, Russia unanimously passed a law forbidding “propaganda of non-traditional relationships to minors” and any public display of homosexuality.
The controversy over this law is only inflamed by the fact Sochi, Russia is hosting the 2014 Olympics. It currently appears unlikely Russia will repeal the law. Surely Russian President Vladimir Putin could at least suspend the law during the Olympics right? Nope.
Putin’s stubbornness is even more shocking considering even Hitler suspended his anti-gay laws and took down his anti-Semitic signs for the 1936 Olympics in Germany.
The International Olympic Committee claims to have received assurances Russia won’t mess with Olympic athletes although it is still getting the details.
Reaction to the law and fear, gay athletes and workers could be jailed has to led to calls for a boycott in America. However, I think a boycott would be a mistake.
For one, a boycott would mean us not attending the games. Unless multiple other national powers joined our boycott, it would only hurt the athletes. Just the absence of America from the 2014 Olympics won’t have Putin losing any sleep. Boycotting the 1980 Olympics didn’t make Russia stop its invasion of Afghanistan.
Second, recall the 1968 Olympics. John Carlos and Tommie Smith famously put up their fists for black power after winning their medals. Meanwhile NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabar stayed at home because he was boycotting the Olympics. Which one is more talked about 45 years later? The former.
Regarding Sochi, John Carlos said, “To be heard is to be greater than a boycott. Had we stayed home, we’d never have been heard from again.”
Last, the Olympics only happens every four years. Athletes can only go to so many Olympics. A boycott means them possibly missing out on potential life changing opportunity.
That doesn’t mean America can’t show its disgust of the law. See if the Olympics can still be moved. Try to apply political pressure on Russia. Just don’t ask the athletes to stay at home.