Major spotlight: criminal justice keeps community safe

Students who desire to serve their community should consider majoring in criminal justice. The following offers an idea of what the field is like for those who are or would like to be criminal justice majors.

The criminal justice degree can be used to acquire jobs in varying fields. Your first thought when you think of the degree might be lawyers or cops. However, there are many other options available for criminal justice majors.

ULM has three primary concentrations in criminal justice: law enforcement, corrections and juvenile justice.

Law enforcement jobs require you to uphold and enforce the law. Examples include uniformed police officers, investigators and crime lab technicians. They all help keep the community safe in their own way.

“I chose to major in criminal justice because I have always been interested in law enforcement. I have always wanted a career that would allow me to help others,” said criminal justice major Katelyn Griffith. “Law enforcement officers play a critical role in keeping our community safe. I want to work in law enforcement because I want to do my best to ensure the safety of our community.”

The corrections concentration includes correctional officers, parole officers and anyone else needed in prison and jails.

The emphasis recently in corrections has been in community corrections and rehabilitation of offenders according to professor Mkay Bonner.

The final concentration, juvenile justice, is for people interested in corrections but who want to work with juveniles.

“Researching and understanding gangs and drugs are a major component. But the major emphasis of late has been coordinated systems of care to help prevent young people from making it to these jail systems,” said Bonner. “Many are identified as early as possible as being at-risk and there is an effort to get them into programs to help them make better choices and have better lives.”

Professor Dean Lanham advises that criminal justice majors pick a minor relating to the field they want to work in.

For example a student who wanted to work corporate law would be advised to get a business minor.

Whatever path you pick, finding a job shouldn’t be too hard.

“Someone with a CJUS degree should have no difficulties obtaining a job in Monroe or Louisiana.  Many police departments and sheriff’s offices are actively seeking good candidates.  There are a lot of options at the entry level for really good candidates,” Bonner said.

The average salary of a criminal justice major varies.  According to Bureau of Labor and Statistics “in 2011, lawyers earned a median average salary of $113,310… the lowest-paid made approximately $54,120,” while the average salary of a police officer is $57,770.