RadTech brings home second place win

RadTech brings home second place win

Photo courtesy of Kelli BeachThe Department of Radiologic Technology brought home multiple awards, including second place honors, at this year’s Louisiana Society of Radiologic Technologies’ Quiz Bowl.

Eleven schools across the state participated in the LSRT Quiz Bowl, which was part of the LSRT convention that was held over the summer in Baton Rouge.

This is the second year in a row that the Department of Radiologic Technology has placed in the competition.

Team members included Kelli Beach, Audre Green, Mariah Hilliard, Rachael Maynard, Tracy Strange and William Walding.

Andy Allen, professor and clinical coordinator for the Radiologic Technology Department, has been team coach since 2003.

“I feel one of the most determining factors to our success in the recent years is the desire students have to be successful,” said Allen. “The presence of ULM radiologic technology is very apparent and well received as result of the quantity and quality of our participation, and I hope that my service will continue to encourage student participation.

According to senior William Walding, there were some unfortunate rulings by the judges about correct and incorrect answers.

“The entire quiz bowl team, including myself, felt that we performed the best in the tournament and because of these rulings we did not finish in the position that we felt we deserved,” Walding said.

But Walding’s overall outlook on the convention was good and he enjoyed the elegance of the dinner during their final night there.

“I was very honored to be selected to be on the ULM Quiz Bowl team,” senior Kelli Beach said. “The team had a meeting four days a week for about a month to prepare. The Quiz Bowl was an exciting and rewarding experience.”

Teams consist of six members, but only three are allowed to compete during a match. The format of the competition is similar to Jeopardy and students buzz in to answer questions delivered by a moderator.

Whitley Gillin, Melody Raybourn and Jacob Slade also assisted in preparations for the competitions.

Rebecca Gibson, a 2013 radiologic technology graduate, was awarded the LSRT’s Joe Schwartz Memorial Scholarship. She is a registered technologist and is now working on her masters of education at ULM.

The team’s members were rewarded with individual plaques at the Presidential Banquet. Faculty members of the Department of Radiologic Technology were also represented at the convention.

Jennifer Michael held a lecture called “The Radiologic Technologist and Social Networking” and was appointed chair of the 2014 LSRT MidWinter Meeting committee. The meeting will be held in March. Allen was given a plaque recognizing his service as a board member, past president and chairman of the board. Brett Bennett was sworn in as the chairman of the board after a year of service as a board member.