Married students enjoy support of partners

Most college students struggle and stress over the same things. We spend our time wondering when our biology quiz is due, if Buffalo Wild Wings is hiring or if going out on a Tuesday night is really such a good idea. But, how many of us lie awake at night wondering“Do I want roses or lilies in my bouquet?”

According to a survey of 20,928 undergraduates done by the National Center for Education Statistics, about 18 percent of undergraduates reported they were married. It can be argued that this 18 percent rushed or made a mistake, but some ULM students beg to differ. Ibtisam Mahrous, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, found herself in the process of an arranged marriage at the age of 19 and was engaged last May.

“Being engaged doesn’t get in the way, at least for me, because my fiance is also a student. So, basically, we have the same schedule of when we can see each other and when we can study,” Mahrous said.

Mahrous finds the difficulties of being a student strengthening for her relationship, rather than stressful. Mahrous said, “Being engaged early makes it easier if both are students because they have many things in common. They could study together, complain about professors together and have the same midterm and final schedule.”

Still, marriage is work at any age. Most are not ready for the commitment, both emotionally and financially, and those are key factors to a successful marriage.

“I am not personally mature enough, financially stable or responsible to handle anything like that,” says Stephen Jackson, a sophomore Biology major. According to wisegeek.org “many people who married too young cite how difficult it is to plan two different careers at the same time.”

Shelbey Vallery Meador, a freshman speech language pathology major, married her high school sweetheart last March. He is an Army man, and Meador decided to discontinue school and try joining the Air Force. Though things didn’t quite go her way, her decision and the consequences of that decision have helped her find a new direction in life

Meador said, “Getting married while in school, for me, made me lose focus. But, after working a full time job, I’ve realized I need to finish college so I’m doing something I actually enjoy doing for the rest of my life.”

Whether you’re still waiting to give that special someone your last name or you’re walking your husband to class right now as you read The Hawkeye, going to college is all about the journey. It’s about doing new, occasionally stupid, things, deciding where you belong and figuring out who you are as a person.

Some of us choose to make that journey alone, and others just prefer to have a little love and commitment along the way.