Seasonal fashion brings comfortable styles

As college students, we have a lot more to worry about than being fashionable. We prefer comfort over cuteness, especially when we have early morning classes to get to.

But, the upcoming trends for the fall and winter season may just be in our favor. This year, fashion is taking a “natural” turn. It’s back to basics with dressing casual and comfy, but cute.

Olive and burgundy are appearing on the racks, and what better way to showcase these earthy tones than with a comfortable sweater.

“Every girl loves a cute and cozy, chunky sweater,” said Forever 21 employee and ULM alumni Ashley Brown. “You can dress them up or down.”

For the fashionista that likes to rock the cross walk like a runway, leather is one of the hot new trends to follow. Francesca’s store manager Devin Jones calls it “Rocker Chic,” complete with studded details.

“Leather accents and combat boots are really in. Even leather jackets, inserts and cut outs,” said HerringStone’s employee and senior dental hygiene major Amanda Bennett.

For the Beyoncé in all of us, Forever 21 employee Ray Benefield suggests a different look.

“Hip hop style is still in with the crop tops, harem pants and typography beanies. Chiffon and flannel paired with a fedora is also quite a statement,” Benefield said.

No matter the style, fresh colors and prints are a must.

“The new style is mixing prints, but keeping the same color scheme. Aztec is still in, but in more fall colors, rather than the bright, pop of summer and spring colors we are used to seeing,” Brown said.

“This season, the classic combo of black and white is in again. Leopard pieces are also always a great go-to,” Bennett said.

Of course, no outfit is complete without the accessories.

“Pointed toe shoes are making an appearance this fall, and so are shorty boots,” Bennett said.

Blue blazers have been a focal point in many fashion magazines. The difference from your usual navy blazer is a vibrant blue and a fit that is closer to the body.

Maxi skirts from spring and summer can easily transition to fall with ankle booties, scarves and leather or denim jackets.

Brown has found that marbled pumps will also be an accessory to look for this season.

“We are also seeing more geometric jewelry, rather than last year’s bubble necklaces,” Bennett said.

Jones finds that antique pieces are in when it comes to jewelry, especially with colored accents.

“They say emerald green is the color of the year, so we have been getting a lot of green in. We have mostly rustic pieces in neutral colors,” Jones said.

“What is also big in Vogue is floppy hats with feather accents. They’re not quite fedoras, but they have the same shape, with a little more movement, and they make great accessories,” Bennett said.

No matter the trends, students always have their favorite items.

“I’m most excited about wearing boots because I am obsessed,” said Jey Smith, a freshman general business major. “I like wearing neutral colors and green is my favorite, so that’s exciting. And I got really into scarves last winter, so I can wear those again, too.”

Junior nursing major Morgan Woods even sports seasonal makeup.

“Ideal makeup, for me, would be something like grey eye shadows. Natural is the look I go for,” Woods said.

For lovers of the top knot be aware of the subtle change. More people are starting to wear their hair in a lower, messier bun. It isn’t as clean and precise as the top knot, which is great for bed head.

As the leaves begin to fall and the weather cools down, fashion lovers alike can look forward to seeing these trends make waves in the world of style.