Women’s golf wins Fred Marx

Led by three top 10 performances, the Warhawks women’s golf team pulled out a win at the Fred Marx Invitational, held at the Bayou DeSiard Country Club.

Coach Stacy Snider is happy with her team getting the win.

“I’m obviously thrilled that we won, and to do it in Monroe was great,” Snider said.

The Warhawks beat out 12 other teams to capture the win. Alison Knowles and Ines Fendt both birdied on 18 to win the tournament by one stroke over Lamar.

Snider knows that everyone had a big role in the performance.

“To win it takes a total team effort, and that’s what it was.”

The team’s score set the new 54-hole record by 22 strokes with a total score of 884. Alison Knowles also set the individual 54-hole record shooting a 4-under for the event.

Coach Snider says that depth is a big part of their success.

“At any time someone could step up and shoot a low number, so we’re definitely deeper this year, and that’s going to contribute to a lot of success for the rest of the season.”

“It really reflects well on our university that our women’s golf team was able to pull out a win. It brings a little bit of excitement to campus.” said sophomore Chase Huffty.

Next up, ULM will travel to Jonesboro, Ark. to play in the Arkansas State Tournament.

After Arkansas State, the Warhawks’ season continues with the UAB Fall Beach Blast, Sun Belt Conference Preview, Le Triomphe, 2014 Lady Jaguar Invitational, 2014 Lady Eagle Invitational, LSU Golf Classic, HBU Women’s Intercollegiate and Sun Belt Conference Championship.

The Warhawks had finished 13th out of 15 and the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich. in their only other appearance in a tournament this year.

Coach Snider is very excited about the future of this program.

“We’re moving forward and we’re bringing this to another level, and hopefully we’ll be competing at regionals and after post-season play and make a run for the conference championship this year.” Snider said.