Right choice not always present during elections

Nothing shows people’s true colors more than politics.

Well-rounded people suddenly become racist, giving members of society become selfish, hardworking people become needy and the conspiracy and terrorist theories begin to fly.

During the 2012 presidential election, politics and the emotions it brings about in people became clear, especially to young voters participating for the first time.

The pressure was on this generation to make the right decision at the polls.

Students relied on the Internet and social media for information rather than the television and newspapers.

This results in partial truths and a divided group of angry young voters.

I struggled to decide where I belonged in the mix of Obama fans and Romney supporters, and I couldn’t seem to find a candidate that I actually liked.

My beliefs about social issues matched one candidate, while my thoughts on the economy matched another.

As the election approached, and my certainty that neither candidate was the right choice for our country remained strong, I decided to protest my disappointment with both candidates by not voting.

Sure, voting is my right as an American.

But, as an uninformed voter, I couldn’t seem to justify voting just for the sake of saying I had.

I didn’t know enough about each candidate, and the few things I did know made me dislike them both.

Voting for the candidate I disliked less than the other meant putting someone in office that I didn’t approve of, no matter who I chose.

So, not voting at all seemed to make quite a statement at the time.

The problem with politics in American is that our views on social issues, government and even global occurrences must be black or white to be relevant.

The hundreds of shades of gray in the middle that could provide some sort of compromise or solution disappear into the background for the purpose of supporting asses and elephants.

This is especially the case among young voters.

Many have no previous experience in making such an important decision, as well as a lack of accurate knowledge of the candidates, economy and current global status.

Some seemed unfit to even participate in the election.

According to Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, voters ages 18-29 make up 19 percent of the total population.

Because young voters play such a large role in deciding the future of our country, it is imperative that we be better informed. But, it is also important that all voters open their eyes to possibilities.

The possibility that maybe both parties are wrong, and the right plan of action lies in a compromise.

The possibility that ignoring skin color and focusing on policies could better help us choose a leader that will make this country as strong as it is reputed to be.

The possibility that maybe we should be picking candidates, not parties.

Still, Americans of all ages have the right to not only support a candidate and promote their beliefs, but to stand by them and vote accordingly.

That is, essentially, the root of politics and our country itself.

Some of us are activists, while others are still standing in the middle of the chaos, looking for a party to call our own.

Maybe not voting at all wasn’t the best way to protest.

But, if we don’t stick to our morals and values, we contribute to the corruption in politics and the misuse of political power.