Major Spotlight: To limit language is to limit the world

The world languages department offers a degree in modern languages, with concentrations in Spanish and French.

The department also offers classes in Latin, German and Chinese. According to Ruth Smith, director of humanities and head of modern languages, the major has several associated organizations.

They have two honor societies: Pi Delta Phi for French and Sigma Delta Pi for Spanish. Phi Tau Gamma is the language club on campus, which celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month Thursday.

The department celebrates the Festival of the World every year. This year the event will be held on May 3. Smith said that over the next five years there will be an increase in the need of people with second language skills.

The degree offers a wide range of career opportunities. Smith said companies in all fields need people who can communicate in another language.

“It gives people an edge,” Smith said.

The major has a global studies concentration that puts modern language majors in specific courses to give them a background in a chosen area. Smith says these students will then be more qualified for jobs in a variety of fields.

A French degree is offered online, and according to Smith many of the people who pursue this degree are working professionals seeking to further their language skills.

“We have a very large number of people studying language to complement their majors,” Smith said.

Modern languages offers study abroad opportunities to students. A two-week study abroad trip to Costa Rica will take place in May. Students will stay with local families and attend classes.

It gives students the chance to put what they have learned into practice.  Students majoring in modern languages can develop their skills in the language lab on campus.

The lab is fully staffed and provides tutoring. Beginning students can work with senior students. Students from other majors with language experience can also go to the lab to refresh their skills.

English as a second language courses are available for international students. These courses teach students with other native languages the English skills necessary to succeed in their other classes.

Smith said over 200 students from several different countries attend ULM. Morgan Smith, a sophomore Spanish major, said her experience in her major has been fantastic.

Morgan says the professors are helpful and understanding of the frustrations that come with learning a new language. Morgan also participated in the study abroad program and said she had a wonderful experience.

“My host family were absolutely fantastic, and I still talk to them everyday,”