Balancing school, work can become another job

When many students begin college, they are also beginning a life of providing for themselves.

Destiny Brown, a freshmen pre-dental hygiene major, works two jobs. On average, Brown works at Anitra’s and Olive Garden 25-35 hours a week.

But Brown said working and being a student isn’t difficult and she enjoys having her own cash.

“I’m not longer at home. I have to provide for myself. I also have a 2013 car note that I have to help pay for, which isn’t cheap.  I like nice things as well so it’s a must that I work,” Brown said.

During the holidays and school breaks, Brown takes on a third job at American eagle. Brown said being a student and employee has been easy; it’s all about time management.

Although working and having money can be beneficial, studies show working can cause stress and have major effects on student’s grades.

Inside Higher Education reported that students who work 20 hours a week receives lower grades than a student who does not work.

By working and studying for class, students become sleep deprived. Less sleep can also adds mood swings and can later lead to depression.

The more hours worked, the more free time is being taken away. Having a job, being a student and finding time for a social life can become a job within itself.

Due to classes, students are only available to work at nights and close. Studying can be pushed off onto the next day because students are getting back from work too late.

Alexandria Gray, a senior toxicology major, is the store manager at Claire’s.

Gray has been working and attending school since the age of 16. Gray works 40 hours a week and attends class for 12 hours a week.

Working and being a full-time student sometimes comes as a challenge to Gray.

“It’s always hard to find that balance between school life, work life and having a social life.,” said Gray. “There have been times where I’ve let me having a work life come before my social life. I’ve missed out on having a real social life.”

Gray has missed out on parties and games because she had to work or she was too tired to attend.

According to the American Association of University Professors, over 80 percent of traditional full-time students have jobs.

To avoid doing poorly on exams and quizzes, students can ask professors to send assignments ahead of time. Most professors have a tentative schedule of assignments. Working on assignments in advance can help reduce stress.