Crime: Juvenile allegedly admits to stealing university vehicle

A local juvenile has been booked into the Green Oaks Detention Facility on two counts of felony theft. The suspect stole a Club Car from the maintenance building on Nov. 6 and a John Deere Gator on Nov. 8.

Bond was set at $20,000.

A maintenance worker reported a golf cart stolen from the residential maintenance building.

The cart had reportedly gone missing between 12:45 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 6.

According to video surveillance, a black male was driving the golf cart down Bon Aire Drive at 1:09 p.m. on Nov 6. The suspect could not be identified by the video because he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

According to Steven Mahon, officer in charge of ULM Police, during a patrol on Nov. 8, a ULM police officer spotted the suspect driving a John Deere Gator on Bon Aire Drive. The vehicle was identified as belonging to ULM Athletics.

When the officer pursued, the suspect allegedly abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot. He was apprehended after a short chase.

The suspect allegedly admitted to stealing the Club Cart earlier that week and to stealing the Gator from the ULM Stadium during questioning. The missing golf cart was found at Barrington Place in Monroe.

According Mahon, the juvenile lives in the area but is not a student at ULM.

The suspect allegedly had a John Deere Gator key in his possession when arrested, but police are unsure about how he obtained the key.

But the vehicle uses a universal key, and any John Deere Gator key would have started the vehicle.

The golf cart allegedly had a stripped ignition prior to being stolen.

It is unknown whether the suspect knew that the ignition on that particular cart was stripped before stealing it.