Real love can wait

Many young adults today strongly believe that they are in love. They believe they’ve found the person they’re meant to spend the rest of their lives with. But what does that even mean? How can you be absolutely certain that you have indeed found “the one”.

Some people jump from relationship to relationship, each time claiming they’re in love. I have seen so many of my friends and cousins meet someone, fall in love, then brag to everyone they know that they have found the “one”. Then, they break up with that very same person.

It’s quite puzzling and kind of bizarre. How can you be so sure one minute and in the very next minute have absolutely no idea?

Most students in high school and college, both male and female, are still trying to figure out who they are and what they want from life. And many of these same students meet a guy or girl and believe that they have found their soul mate. They’re sure they’ve found the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with.

But just five minutes ago, they were venting about not knowing what they wanted out of life and how it was impossible to know what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives when they were still so young. Yet, somehow, through all of that confusion and uncertainty, they know that they have found the one they can’t spend another day without. Seriously? Are you for real right now?

You couldn’t decide whether to wear the blue shirt or the red one this morning. Or whether the Converse or boots looked better with your outfit today. You had a hard time deciding if you wanted bacon or sausage for breakfast this morning. You also couldn’t pick between drinking orange juice or apple juice.

Plus, deciding between majoring in pharmacy or communication was a hard decision to make at this stage in your life. But when it comes to love and the person you are going to spend the rest of your life with, you have it all figured out. Do you really?

There is nothing wrong with wanting to find love and a life-long companion, but why do so many people feel the need to rush into relationships? Breaking news people: It’s not a race!

There isn’t a prize for being the first person or the youngest person to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right, fall in love, and live happily ever after. You can stop worrying about being 23 and single.

Embrace it. Enjoy life. Take your time. Learn more about yourself as an individual. Figure out who you really are and what you want out of life. Love will come when you’re least expecting it and in the most electrifying way, if you allow it to.